You are hereBasic Civil Engineering
Basic Civil Engineering
Surveying: Object and Principles of Surveying. Linear Measurements: Direct measurements - Tape & chain only - Ranging out survey lines-Taking measurements of sloping ground - Errors - Tape correction (problems). Levelling: Levelling instruments - Level (Dumpy Level, Tilting Level ) Levelling Staff. Measurements in levelling - Temporary adjustments of a level, holding the staff, reading the staff - Principles of leveling - recording measurements in the field book - reduction of level - height of collimation method only (simple examples). Contour maps (Brief description only). Computation of areas - Mid ordinate rule, average ordinate rule, Trapezoidal rule, Simpson‘s rule (examples)- Introduction to Distomat, Total Station & GPS (Brief description only)
Building construction: Selection of site for buildings - types of buildings - Components of buildings. Foundation: Different types - Spread footing, Isolated footing, Combined footing, Mat foundation¸ Pile foundation (description only). Safe Bearing Capacity of Soil: Importance of determination of the Safe Bearing Capacity of Soil (brief description only).
Super structure: Masonry - stone masonry, brick masonry –Types- desirable qualities of stone and brick.
Partition: Materials used for making partition - plywood, particle boards & glass. Doors, windows & ventilators : Types - materials used for the construction of doors and windows - wood, steel & Aluminium. Plastering: Mortar – properties - Preparation of Cement mortar Painting: Preparation of surfaces for painting - plastered, wood and steel surfaces- Types of paint - enamel, emulsion & distemper. Flooring: Types - mosaic tiles, ceramic tiles, marble, granite and synthetic materials. Roofing: Selection of type of roof -flat roof, sloping roof -Concrete roof, tiled roof. Selection of roof covering materials. GI Sheet , AC Sheet, PVC Sheet
Concrete: Ingredients- cement, aggregate, and water. Qualities of ingredients (brief description only). Tests on Cement - consistency, initial and final setting times. Compressive strength -IS Specifications. Aggregates – desirable qualities of fine and coarse aggregates Plain Cement Concrete (PCC): preparation-proportioning-mixing of concrete. Steel-common types used in construction- Mild Steel, HYSD Steel and their properties. Reinforced Cement Concrete (RCC)-advantages of RCC over Plain Cement Concrete. Elementary ideas on pre-cast and pre-stressed concrete constructions. Building services – vertical transportation – stairs – types, escalators and elevators, ramps (brief description only). Plumbing services- brief description of water supply and sewage disposal arrangements for residential buildings.
1. Adler R., Vertical Transportation for Buildings, American Elsevier Publishing Company, New York.1970
2. B.C Punmia, ―Surveying & Leveling‖ Vol. – I, Laxmi publications(P) Ltd,N.Delhi, 2004
3. Rangwala., Building Materials,Charotar publishing house, 2001
4. Rangwala, ―Building Construction‖ , Charotar Publishing House., 2004
5. S.K. Roy, ―Fundamentals of Surveying‖ Prentice-Hall of India, New Delhi.2004
6. Rangwala.,―Water Supply and Sanitary Engineering‖, Charotar Publishing House. 1990
7. Moorthy, ―Building Construction‖, Modern Publishing House distributor., 1957
8. Jha and Sinha, ―Construction and Technology‖
9. Narayanan and Lalu Mangal ,‖Introduction to Civil Engineering‖Phasor Books,Kollam.
10. Santha Minu, ―Basic Civil Engineering‖ Karunya Publications,Trivandrum
The question paper will consists of two parts. Part I and part II.. Part I is Compulsory covering the entire syllabus, for 40 marks. It contains 8 questions of 5 marks each. Part II is to cover 3 modules. There will be two questions (20 marks each) from each module out of which one from each module is to be answered. (20 X 3 = 60)